Organising the funeral of a loved one is one of the hardest things anyone can do. At a time of sadness and distress, choosing the right funeral director can make a world of difference. At first, it may seem like all funeral directors offer a similar service, but it’s important you find one you trust, are comfortable with and can help you and your family through this very difficult time.
The Role of Funeral Directors
A good funeral director will provide expert guidance, helping you navigate the best options for your family and ensure the whole funeral process runs smoothly. Most people have not arranged a funeral before, and at such an emotional time the right funeral director will ease your stress and assist you with the logistics involved in a loved one passing away.
The main services a funeral director provides are:
- Removal of the body from the place of death, and transportation of the deceased to the mortuary
- Preparation of the deceased
- Arrangement of all matters requested by the family taking into consideration the legal, social, cultural and religious considerations
- Contact with the celebrant or priest
- Booking of venue, church, cemetery and/or crematorium
- Deal with the documentation to legally allow the cremation or burial to go ahead
- Obtain copies of the death certificate
- Organise all details of the funeral service, making sure everything happens at the right time, in the right place
Choosing a Funeral Director
It may be tempting to sign up with the first funeral director you find to get the process started as quickly as possible, but there are a few important things to take into consideration when selecting a funeral director.
Take your time – don’t be rushed into making decisions. Research quotes, prices and reviews and then settle on a shortlist.
Compare prices and check contracts – check what each quote does and doesn’t include and carefully read all contracts before signing them.
Check reviews and recommendations – try finding a funeral director that is local in your area and has a good reputation for providing exceptional, compassionate service.
Make sure they offer the services you need – if you are wanting a different style of funeral or have additional requirements check that the funeral director can accommodate your wishes. Some funeral directors specialise in eco-friendly funeral, others specialise in traditional funeral services and there are others that can help with alternative options.
Ask about payment options – it’s important to know if payment will be needed up-front or if payment plans are available.
Choose a funeral director who makes you feel comfortable – the right funeral director will be compassionate, listen to you, respect your wishes, and won’t push you to make certain choices.
Some Good Questions to Ask When Comparing Funeral Directors
Not all funeral directors are the same, so it’s a good idea to ask the following questions to ensure you receive a high quality service which is best for you and your loved one:
- What is and isn’t included in your costs?
- Can we choose a burial or cremation?
- Is there a range of coffins, caskets and urns to choose from?
- Can I visit my loved one before the funeral?
- Can we choose the day and time of the funeral?
- What funeral transport do you provide?
- What type of funeral ceremony could we have and where?
- Do you offer 24/7 advice and support?
The funeral director should be friendly, courteous, well-informed and compassionate. You may have many questions and requests, and the funeral director should listen attentively and provide answers.
If you have recently experienced the passing of a loved one and are looking for funeral directors Perth families know and trust, then look no further than the compassionate team at Perth Cremations. Our dedicated and highly experienced Perth based funeral directors will help you lay your loved one to rest with a beautiful funeral service that won’t cost you the earth. Contact us today to find out more.